<link rel="stylesheet" href="//fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Roboto%3Ainherit%2C400%7CDosis%3Ainherit%2C400%7CMontserrat%3A700%2C600%7CMontserrat%3A700">Mold or Mildew? - L&R Corrosion

L&R Corrosion

Mold or Mildew?

Mold and mildew have similar characteristics; they both love moisture and warm temperatures. Bathrooms and kitchens are good examples of areas where there are moisture and higher temperatures. Mold and mildew aren’t picky when it comes to surfaces; they can grow on food, wood, concrete, plants, and more. Any place there is food, warmth, and moisture they can grow.

Mildew is a surface fungus that is usually gray or white. It doesn’t grow roots so it isn’t destructive. Mildew can be treated numerous different ways; it all depends on the surface that is affected.

Mold, on the other hand, does grow roots so it can’t just be scrubbed away, and it’s very destructive. It’s the main decomposition method that nature uses. It can be a variety of different colors and textures from green and slimy to black and fuzzy. Mold grows on many different surfaces, but it loves porous materials such as drywall and wood. With the right temperatures and higher levels of humidity, however, mold can grow on nonporous materials like concrete or brick. Some molds are toxic and can lead to allergy-like symptoms, red or itchy eyes, and dry, flaky skin.

If you aren’t sure whether it’s mold or mildew, don’t hesitate to ask a local professional inspector to come out and take some samples of the affected areas. They will also be able to give you suggestions on how to treat the area if the samples do come back as mold.

L&R Corrosion